If you live in a place with mild climates and don’t need to use your air conditioning for an extended period, it’s essential to understand the consequences of not using it for months. GE Home Services, one of the most trusted HVAC companies, provides comprehensive air conditioning service in Phoenix, AZ, and surrounding areas. You can also call us for reliable and effective air conditioning repair in Tempe, AZ.
Here are 3 negative impacts of leaving your AC unused for an extended period:
- Dampness and mold buildup: Moisture can accumulate inside the AC unit leading to mold and bacteria growth, especially if the temperature inside the unit remains constant. It can lead to unpleasant odors and can potentially cause respiratory problems.
- Component degradation: When an AC unit is not used, various components, such as the compressor and fan, can become clogged with dirt, dust, and other debris, causing corrosion and wear over time. In addition, the refrigerant may leak out and cause damage to the unit.
- Energy Inefficiency: If an AC unit is not used for months, it will require more energy to cool a room to the desired temperature when turned on again, resulting in higher energy bills and decreased efficiency. It gravely impacts the longevity of the AC unit.
Not using your AC unit for 4-5 months can severely damage the system. Ensure the longevity and performance of your AC unit by scheduling an air conditioning service near me, at least once a year with the professionals at GE Home Services.
Prepare Your AC for the Offseason
To avoid the aforementioned consequences of leaving your AC unused for an extended period, you can follow the steps below:
- Schedule annual maintenance: Booking a professional AC maintenance service in Phoenix, AZ, such as the one offered by GE Home Services LLC, can help keep your AC unit in top condition, even if it is not used frequently. Our maintenance professional will clean the unit, check for potential issues, and ensure that all components function correctly.
- Use a cover: If you know you won’t be using your AC for an extended time, cover the unit to protect it from dust, dirt, and other debris that can cause damage.
- Turn off the power supply: Before leaving your AC unused, turn off the power supply to the unit. It will help prevent the buildup of mold and bacteria inside the unit.
- Set the thermostat: If you are leaving your home for an extended period, set the thermostat to a temperature that will not cause the AC to turn on and off frequently. It can also help reduce the amount of energy the AC uses when not in use.
Keep the room ventilated: If you use your AC infrequently, keep the room well-ventilated. It will help reduce the risk of mold growth and bacteria buildup inside the
Contact GE Home Services for top-notch air conditioning repair in Tempe, AZ, and surrounding areas. Protect your AC unit and enjoy a comfortable home with our expert services.